Erected in the heart of Luxembourg, Place de la Constitution, in 1922, this female sculpture was called the “Queen of Peace” at the time. The monument consists of a raised square plinth supporting a 21-meter-high obelisk, with at its top the gilded statue of a woman who, at arm’s length, holds out a laurel wreath.
Commissioned from the famous Luxembourg sculptor Claus CITO in homage to the Luxembourg soldiers who died during the First World War, then dismantled by the German occupiers in 1940, the “golden woman” only found its pedestal in 1985, following incredible adventures. Beyond the monument of remembrance honoring the fighters who fell for their country during the conflicts of the 20th century, the “Gëlle Fra” is today a symbol of the democratic values of freedom and peace. She was also chosen as the figurehead of the Luxembourg pavilion at the Shanghai World Expo in 2010.