The first flute is illustrated by the coat of arms of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. These coats of arms were established in the years 1235-1239 by Henri V, Count of Luxembourg: “barreled silver and azure of ten pieces and a lion gules, armed, langued and crowned or, the tail forked and crossed into a saltire”.
The Red Lion (Roude Léiew) engraved in transparency on the second flute also has its origins in the medieval coat of arms of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg and today symbolizes national pride par excellence. It does not appear on the national flag but on the official flag of Luxembourg shipping and aviation, dating from 1990 and legalized in 2007. Since then, it has been hoisted, particularly during sporting and cultural events.